Cooked by TFW: Sloppy Jack Sweet Potatoes
Blah blah blah, it’s week 4 of Tahini Season… Yadda yadda, "did you know I was in fight camp…" I have zero time for that this week, y’all… I’M ABOUT TO REVOLUTIONIZE YOUR LIVES AND I DON’T HAVE TIME FOR WORDS THAT AREN’T REVOLUTIONARY!
Remember how we learned to make Avocado Tahini last week? Cool! Do you still have some left over? Perfect. Get it ready… This is another “Dinner for Two” dish that is gonna bring EVERYBODY to your yard… the boys, girls, gender nonconforming folk… WHY AM I WASTING TIME MAKING JOKES ABOUT WHO YOU EAT THIS WITH?!
Today’s meal is called “Sloppy Jack” Sweet Potatoes… I spent AN ENTIRE MONTH (there is so much allcaps going on in this post; please know it’s because I’m so pumped to share it with y’all) researching how to make this from absolute scratch. Do you know how many BBQ and Sloppy Joe recipes have Ketchup in it? We don’t do Ketchup here. We will NEVER (okay… this week’s drinking game is allcaps words) do Ketchup here… I love you all too much; you’re welcome.
I’m done rambling… Let’s get this meal going…
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Can of Young Jackfruit
- 1 Medium Red Onion
- 1/4 Cup Avocado Tahini (Check out last week’s recipe on how to make… WE LEGIT HAVEN’T THE TIME TO RETREAD GROUND [drink])
- 4 Tomatoes
- 5 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons White Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Mustard
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Agave Nectar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
(I swear this is worth it… just trust me!)
1. We’ve gone over making our own tomato sauce before. Let’s do this quickly. Toss your garlic cloves and tomatoes into a food processor and blend. Transfer that to a medium pot and cook over medium-highish (it varies… basically, don’t let it boil over) heat. Stir in your vinegar and brown sugar and then let it cook down
2. Transfer it back to your processor and blend until smooth. Move it back to the pot and let it cook down into a paste. Let it cool. Mix in the dry ingredients and the agave and stir it well… Boom, you just made your own BBQ/Sloppy Joe sauce… AND WE’RE NOT DONE YET (drink)!
“Meat” and Potatoes (You see what I did there?!)
1. Preheat the oven to 415º. Rinse and scrub your sweet potatoes… And then stab the living hell out of them with a fork. Listen to Alanis Morrissette’s Jagged Little Pill album while you do it… It helps… I promise. Wrap in aluminum foil and toss ‘em in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour, or until they’re soft.
2. Drain the Jackfruit and dump in a bowl. Use two forks and shred it up (also while listening to Alanis). Cut up the onion into half-inch wide slivers. And then the fun begins! (I’m surprised I didn’t go allcaps for that… drink anyway.)
3. Sauté the onions in a skillet over medium-high heat until translucent. Then add the jackfruit and let it cook for about 3-5 minutes. THEN (drink) stir in the sauce and let it cook for another 5-7 minutes. You’re doing this to allow the jackfruit to soak up that delicious non-ketchup sauce we created earlier… as a team… we’re in this together! I’ll never leave you.
4. When the sweet potatoes are done, transfer each to a plate and carefully split them open without breaking them into two (four?) halves. Add the “Sloppy Jack” to each and top with equal amounts of that delicious avocado tahini… Y’all… savor this. You just created magic.
AND THERE YOU HAVE IT(drink)!!!! My masterpiece… from my brain to your plates. Impress the one you love. Impress your latest tinder date. Impress yo mamma. Do like I did and impress your roommate. If you follow this recipe, you’re going to have undoubtedly the greatest meal of your entire life. And you made it from scratch. YO! (drink) I’ve been so excited about this meal, I didn’t even point out that it’s 100% vegan!
I’ve been so excited about sharing this recipe with y’all, I’ve already shown you how to make it and didn’t even hit the 700-word mark until THIS SETENCE (drink)… No superfluous, funny stories. Minimal ramblings. Just the keys to the best damn meal I have ever created. Most of my posts lately have been novels. Not this one. Just make it, eat it, love it.
I beg of you to make this meal for yourself, share it on all the social medias using the hashtag #CookedByTFW and tagging me in them! GO FORTH (drink) and prosper, my fellow homecooks. Bless your taste buds with this miracle food… And – as always – thank me in the morning!